nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDoS - CoD?

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:19:23 -0700

Arrgghhh....

This reminds me of the WebNFS attack.  Which is why Sun aborted
WebNFS's public launch, after I pointed it out during its Solaris 2.6
early access program.

Never run a volume-multiplying service on UDP if you can help it,
exposed to the outside world, without serious in-band source
verification.  Amplification attacks are a classic easy DDOS win.

-george