nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bandwidth Upgrade

From: PC <paul4004 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:54:38 -0700

Yes, lot's of missing pieces here.

It depends on your tolerance for delayed and dropped packets during periods
of high usage, connection media type, speeds we're talking about, who your
users are, and the applications you must support.

Generally if your graphs says 75% peak usage, you should have upgraded.  If
you're output drop counters are unacceptable you also need an upgrade.

However cases with a a subrate access network (IE:  users capped at 5 meg,
on a 1000 megabit upstream pipe) can get away with running closer to
capacity a lot more than those with a few enterprise "bursty" customers who
can single handidly burst 50% of your upstream), and demand no dropped or
delayed traffic in their SLAs.

Also consider failover issues if you're redundantly connected.