nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ham Radio Networking (was Re: Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:04:43 -0700

On May 26, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Carl Rosevear wrote:

Yeah, so...  the thing is there really are benefits to ham radio for
the community.  I 100% believe in that.  And yes, there are a lot of
neck beards but, honestly, look at some pictures from a NANOG meeting!
;)

Indeed, there is a club call sign for NANOG. ;-)

I have it on good authority that N4NOG is registered as follows:

N4NOG
North American Network Operators' Group ARC
C/o Robert Seastrom, PO BOX 9303
McLean, VA 22102
USA

Source: http://www.qrz.com

But so here is a "system" that is capable of playing a key role in
improving many peoples' lives (if actually used), helping in
emergencies, assisting during armageddon (?), etc.  There are an awful
lot of netblocks that are used for much less valid things (IMHO)...
but since those make money, everyone endorses it and considers it
"proper".

Given this belief you may want to come stand up for it on the ARIN
public policy mailing list where there is currently a policy being
discussed that attempts to remove needs basis from the criteria
to receive an IPv4 netblock through the directed transfer process.

Owen