nanog mailing list archives

Re: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible with today's technology.

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:41:16 -0400

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Heath Jones <hj1980 () gmail com> wrote:
My point here is it IS possible to transfer just a hash and counter value
and effectively generate identical data at the remote end.
The limit that will be hit is the difficulty of generating and comparing
hash values with current processing power.

I'm proposing iterating through generated data up until the actual data.
It's not even a storage issue, as once you have incremented the data you
don't need to store old data or hash values - just the counter. No massive
hash tables.

It's a CPU issue.

i'd note it took you many more packets than my example of roughly the
same thing.

if you really want to save bandwidth, my 1 packet answer is the best answer.