nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

From: "Jeffrey S. Young" <young () jsyoung net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:45:44 +1000

On 19/05/2011, at 6:01 AM, "Holmes,David A" <dholmes () mwdh2o com> wrote:

I think this shows the need for an Internet-wide multicast implementation. Although I can recall working on a product
that delivered satellite multicast streams (with each multicast group corresponding to individual TV stations) to
telco CO's. This enabled the telco to implement multicast at the edge of their networks, where user broadband clients
would issue multicast joins only as far as the CO. If I recall this was implemented with the old Cincinnati Bell
telco. I admit there are a lot of CO's and cable head-ends though for this solution to scale.