nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:28:36 -0600

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:27:58 CDT, Aaron Wendel said:
That's a good question.  Maybe they can't qualify under Arin rules.  Another

question will be: how is Arin going to handle it?

Im pretty sure that the RSA says that in the event of bankruptcy ips revert
to the Arin pool.  I understand that these were legacy addresses but.......

The *important* question is - do they *remain* legacy addresses under the
legacy address rules after the Microsoft acquisition, and thus re-sellable at a
later date?  If so, we may have seen the first case of IP address speculation,
and the start of the bubble.  I don't want to see how this bubble bursts..

In order for the transfer to be recognized by ARIN, they would not be able to remain legacy addresses. However, nothing
in ARIN policy precludes resale of transferred addresses at a later date. What it does preclude, however, is acquiring
the addresses without justified need.

Owen