nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:43:54 -0400

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:27:58 CDT, Aaron Wendel said:
That's a good question.  Maybe they can't qualify under Arin rules.  Another

question will be: how is Arin going to handle it?

Im pretty sure that the RSA says that in the event of bankruptcy ips revert
to the Arin pool.  I understand that these were legacy addresses but.......

The *important* question is - do they *remain* legacy addresses under the
legacy address rules after the Microsoft acquisition, and thus re-sellable at a
later date?  If so, we may have seen the first case of IP address speculation,
and the start of the bubble.  I don't want to see how this bubble bursts..