nanog mailing list archives

Re: SP's and v4 block assignments

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:40:51 -0700

On Mar 15, 2011, at 6:27 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

On Mar 15, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Andrew Elliott wrote:

Looking for information on the current standard practices for charging customers
for larger than default v4 assignments.

Especially with the rapidly depleting v4 space, how are SP's handling these
requests?  Is it safe to assume customers requesting larger blocks are willing
to pay a premium?

How much are SP's charging and what are the thresholds?  What are default
allocations based on?  (ie: size of the circuit, type of product, etc...)

Are SP's requiring more strict justification for said assignments?

"Larger than default"?  There are rules about allocating IP space, it has to do with justification, not default sizes.

Charging for them means you are likely a spammer or provider catering to spammers, and lying on your justification
forms.  Hopefully these types of providers will go away as space gets tighter and justifications are scrutinized more.

--
TTFN,
patrick

I'll point out that Comcast charges $5/month for a static IP on their business circuits.

If you want more addresses, they charge even more.

This is not uncommon practice. I agree with you that it's undesirable, but, it's not uncommon
among the access networks.

Owen