nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Jima <nanog () jima tk>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:29:09 -0500

On 06/15/2011 11:45 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 15 jun 2011, at 18:39, Leo Bicknell wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the last update on this was RFC
5006 I think, which is marked as "experimental", and I thought the
IETF still had a working group discussing it.

You missed the upgrade to proposed standard:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6106

That is, I didn't think it was a finalized standard yet.

The IETF rarely gets around to bringing something from proposed standard to standard. For instance, HTTP and BGP aren't
standards either.

Thanks for the citation, right. I also probably should also have cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_operating_systems -- the notable holdouts to RDNSS (that support DHCPv6) seem to be Windows, Solaris, AIX, and IBM i. Unfortunate.

     Jima