nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:04:41 +0200

On 12 jun 2011, at 12:35, Daniel Roesen wrote:

Could you point to any RFC which implies or explicitly states that
DHCPv6 MUST NOT be used in absence of RA with M and/or O=1?

But what's the alternative? Always run DHCPv6 even if there are no router advertisements or router advertisements with
O=0, M=0?

Like I said before, that would pollute the network with many multicasts which can seriously degrade wifi performance.

And networks without RAs are very common. We call those networks "IPv4-only networks".

And in the current situation DHCPv6 without router advertisements is pointless because you may get an address, but you
have no place to send your packets.