nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:38:42 -0400

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:27:58 PDT, Leo Bicknell said:
The funny thing is, no one does this anymore.  We turned off RIP,
turned off routed, and invented things like HSRP to handle router
redundancy.  These things weren't done because someone was bored,
no, they were done because these RIP deployments failed, repeatedly
and often.  Any device could broadcast bad information, and they
did.  It could be a legitimate network admin plugging a cable into
the wrong jack, or it could be a hacker who rooted a machine and
is injecting bad information on purpose.

Has senility set in, or wasn't there even an incident where somebody advertised
127/8 via RIP - and lots of nodes *believed* it, even though they should have
realized that they had an interface on that network already?

(And yes, I know of *multiple* failures of broadcasting a default route and
getting swamped as a result - this one was 127/8 specifically)...