nanog mailing list archives

Re: unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:20:48 +1000

In message <4DFEC221.90902 () mistral co uk>, Adam Atkinson writes:
Adam Atkinson wrote:

It was a very long time ago, but I seem to recall being shown
http://dk,
the home page of Denmark, some time in the mid 90s.

DK should NOT be doing this.

Oh, I'm not claiming it does it now. It certainly doesn't.

I should have checked before I wrote that. The _last_ time I tried it
it redirected to something else in Denmark but that was also years
ago, just not as many as I think I remember being shown http://dk

_Now_ I get rend up at http://www.dk.com/ if I don't

That's your browser "trying" to be helpful.  If it is Firefox this
can be turned off with about:config and browser.fixup.alternate.enabled
to false.  The default is true.

put a dot on the end, and https://www.dk-hostmaster.dk/ if I do.

Safari, Mozilla and Google Chrome all fail to resolve "http://dk/"; on my
Mac but all resolve "http://dk./";.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org