nanog mailing list archives

Re: high performance open source DHCP solution?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia () gmail com>

Of course, committing to a RAMDISK tricks the DHCP server software.
The danger is that if your DHCP server suffers an untimely reboot, you
will have no transactionally safe record of the leases issued, when
the replacement comes up, or the DHCP server completes its reboot cycle.

As a result, you can generate conflicting IP address assignments,
unless you:
(a) Have an extremely short max lease duration (which can increase
DHCP server load), or
(b) Have a policy of pinging before assigning an IP, which limits DHCP
server performance and is not fool proof.

I think a lot of this depends on the target audience of your server.

It sounds like he's in a commercial WAN environment, which of course is what
those rules were written for.  But I can't tell you how many service calls I
have to take because of address conflicts on home LANs behind consumer
routers... which don't generally cache the assignments at all, IME.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com

_____