nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG List Update - Moving Forward

From: "Larry J. Blunk" <ljb () merit edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

Looks like parts of the received like are still there, though
butchered and mashed in (most likely in a non-RFC compliant
manner) with the one added by 'bulk_maler v1.13' (great name for
the mailer, btw, sets off my spammy sense something fierce).

You seem to be new here.

bulk_mailer was something used back in the day to workaround
limitations in sendmail for those people operating majordomo (and
those using smail etc).  it broke the chunks into something that
sendmail would then allocate multiple processes to.  most other mail
subsystems can handle the multiple-rcpts in different manners.

while it may 'feel' spammy to you, it's certainly not.

a simple google of "majordomo and bulk_mailer" should give you a good
idea of what's going on.

there were a lot of other mail systems that served to help integrate
and interoperate back in the day, including qmailer, smail, etc that
all attempted to replace sendmail, including providing the uucp
interaction necessary for those behind dialup.

either way, please try to keep the feedback off-list for now as we
undergo this transition.  It's hard to move a large list like this
without trouble.  I've been party to many such list moves in the
past and they usually have all sorts of trouble.

admins () nanog org is the right place for your feedback right now.

- Jared

  Feeling a bit of Déjà vu as I deployed bulk_mailer for the NANOG
list back in November of 1996.   It used sendmail+bulk_mailer
for delivery until March of 1999 when we transitioned to Postfix.
It was transitioned again in April 2008 to Exim and Mailman.
Unfortunately, my memory is a bit hazy on whether there were any
specific issues with bulk_mailer that caused the switch to Postfix.
My main concern with the bulk_mailer code is that it hasn't
been touched in over a decade -- ftp://cs.utk.edu/pub/moore/bulk_mailer

  I've have some concerns with AMS based on my experience
with the IETF mailing list.  It has had ongoing issues with
out-of-sequence delivery.  Based on the Received headers, it's
seems pretty clear the re-ordering is occurring internal to the
AMS servers.  It appears they may be trying something different
with the NANOG list as the IETF list does not employ bulk_mailer.

 -Larry