nanog mailing list archives

Re: NIST IPv6 document

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:46:32 -0600

On 1/7/2011 8:17 AM, Tim Chown wrote:
As RFC6018 suggests, this could be done dynamically on any given active subnet.

Unfortunately, I don't see support for it in major router vendors for service providers. Currently, flow + arp/ND/routing tables are utilized to determine a variety of situations, but even then, flow collection is limited at higher speeds.

I considered a 1 in 200 approach, but the iBGP tables will go through the roof for a single DHCPv6 pool in a single pop. I a worse problem with darknets than those scanning have with scanning a /64, especially since their scans are likely to be more targeted and not as random.

Jack