nanog mailing list archives

Re: NIST IPv6 document

From: Tim Chown <tjc () ecs soton ac uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 14:17:41 +0000

On 6 Jan 2011, at 17:17, Jack Bates wrote:

A randomly setup ssh server without DNS will find itself brute force attacked. Darknets are setup specifically for
detection of scans. One side effect of v6, is determining how best to deploy darknets, as we can't just take one or
two blocks to do it anymore. We'll need to interweave the darknets with the production blocks. I wish it was possible
via DHCPv6-PD to assign a block minus a sub-block (hey, don't use this /64 in the /48 I gave you). It could be that
darknets will have to go and flow analysis is all we'll be left with.

As RFC6018 suggests, this could be done dynamically on any given active subnet.

Tim