nanog mailing list archives

Re: NIST IPv6 document

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 07:11:42 -0500

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net> writes:

The next ship will be departing in a hundred years or so, advance
registration for the IPv7 design committee are available over there.

Sorry, but IPv7 has come and gone. It was assigned to the TUBA proposal,
basically replacing IP with CLNP. IPv8 has also been assigned. (Don't ask
as it involved he who must not be named.)

In the grand tradition of list pedantry, I must correct both of these
statements.  :-)

IPv7 was TP/IX, which I never really learned anything about (at least
nothing that I can remember) at the time.

IPv8 was PIP, which got merged with SIP to form SIPP which as I recall
evolved into IPv6.  It had nothing to do with he who must not be
named, but you can't figure this out by googling IPv8 as all it
returns is a series of links to flights of fancy.

IPv9 was TUBA.  Went down for political reasons, but in retrospect
perhaps wouldn't have been such a bad thing compred to the "second
system syndrome" design that we find ourselves with today (I know I'm
gonna take it on the chin for making such a comment, but whatever).

10-14 are unassigned, guess we'd better get crackin, eh?

-r