nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another v6 question

From: Michiel Klaver <michiel () klaver it>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:04:44 +0100

At 22-07-28164 20:59, Max Pierson wrote:
> From the provider perspective, what is the prefix-length that most are
accepting to be injected into your tables??  2 or so years ago, I read where
someone stated that they were told by ATT that they weren't planning on
accepting anything smaller than a /32. So what if I get my shiny new /48
from ARIN and am already multi-homed??? Does ATT not want my business (which
they wouldn't get if the first place, but for argument sake, yes, I chose to
pick on ATT, sorry if I offended anyone :)  I already see /40's /48's ,etc
in the v6 table, so some folks are allowing /48 and smaller, so what is the
new /24 in v6?

Hi Max,

There is a Wikipedia article all about that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_by_major_transit_providers

And here is some more information about subnetting your IPv6 network:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_subnetting_reference