nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:49:57 -0600

Once upon a time, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> said:
If someone turns their box into a router they can also turn it into a DHCP server. This is what happens with IPv4.
The solution is to filter these packets from fake routers in the switches. So ask your switch vendor for that feature
in IPv6.

The difference is that in the widest-used desktop OS, "turn me into a
router" is a single checkbox, while "turn me into a DHCP server"
requires installing software.  The first is an accident waiting to
happen (and then a support nightmare), while the second is not a common
problem.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>