nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sunday Funnies: Using a smart phone as a diagnostic tool

From: "LaDerrick H." <nanog () lacutt com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:46:50 -0600

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:00:18PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Do you have a smartphone?  Blackberry?  iPhone?  Android?

Do you use it as a technical tool in your work, either for accessing
devices or testing connectivity -- or something else?

If so, what kind of phone, and what (if you don't mind letting on) are
your magic apps for this sort of work?

(My motivation?  Well, um, Lee, I'm looking at buying an HTC Thunderbolt,
if everyone can get their thumbs out, and I want to get a feeling for
the lanscape, if you'll pardon the pun. :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

Nokia N900.  Slide-out, physical keyboard.  Debian Linux based OS.  Fair
amount of free packages/apps available and then there's always GCC.  No
hackery needed for full system access.  IPV6 capable and actually
working on T-Mobile.  Not quite as slick as newer Android phones and
iPhones but more of a workhorse.

LaDerrick