nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPTV and ASM

From: Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 01:02:04 +0100

Isn't source discovery and efficiency a big concern for ASM?  If individual
streams are tied to a specific source then it's possible to live without
some of the overhead involved in ASM.  Joins go straight to the source,
traffic is disseminated via direct paths instead of being replicated by the
RP, etc etc..

Disclaimer: Other than being a lab rat I haven't done much with multicast
in the wild.