nanog mailing list archives

Re: De-bogon not possible via arin policy.

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:31:19 -0500

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:36:32 -0500, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:
... I had thought new allocations are based on demonstrated need. The fact that addresses are in use would seem to suggest they're needed.

That depends on how you see their "demontrated need." The way I look at it, if you build your network squatting on someone elses addresses, that's a problem of your own making and does not equate to any "immediate need" on my (channeling ARIN) part. This is a mess they created for themselves and should have known was going to bite them in the ass sooner than later. Translation: they should have started working to resolve this a long time ago. (or never done it in the first place.)

And if I may say, they've demonstrated no need at all for public address space. They simply need to stop using 5/8 as if it were 10/8 -- i.e. they need more private address space. They don't need *public* IPv4 space for that. They will need to re-engineer their network to handle the addressing overlaps (ala NAT444.)