nanog mailing list archives

Re: How long is your rack?

From: Charles N Wyble <charles () knownelement com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:18:37 -0500

On 08/16/2011 02:33 AM, Leigh Porter wrote:

How do you guys find time for all this?

I live in a smallish apartment that doesn't require much cleaning and
have a room mate who handles all the errands/logistics  in exchange for
free rent and access to my awesome lab. Been doing this for a few years
now. Works very well and beats having kids. LOL.

 then I got married,

I did a ton more stuff, acquired more gear when I got married. Before I
was married I travelled non stop and had nothing more then my laptop and
a box at my parents house as my "cloud".  Once I settled down, I begin
to acquire gear.

 had three kids

This will kill off productivity time for sure. Until you have enough of
them that are old enough to support site operations. But bootstrapping
that is difficult.

 and started a Theology PhD program..

I've avoided school. However I'm constantly learning. So I work full
time and do about 4 hours a day of hacking. Weekends I do no hacking.
This works well for me.

 Now anything I do at home is purely practical.

The things I've been doing are practical. I haven't touched the lab rack
yet. That's next months project.

I took on some ideas for backup though, so I am sorting out a backblaze account and using Randy's fantastic sync
thing that he mentioned. I really do not want 18 months of research to vanish.

Indeed.

--
Charles N Wyble charles () knownelement com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.