nanog mailing list archives

RE: NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () corp nac net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:07:15 -0400

All the actual EE's I know are most impressed with the PowerWare (now
Eaton Power) designs.  For insance their 5110 is a line-interactive
design built with quality components.  The last I looked APC did not
have a line-interactive design in this price range; they were all the
"standby" design.  Eaton does have some cheaper standby units, I can't
make any comment about them.

Most EE's don't deal with day to day operations of datacenters.

We have been a long time (14 years) user of Exide / Powerware / Invensys / Eaton UPS systems. I have many 9315 and
9395's, ranging from 80 kva to 500 kva. They are generally good units. It is clear that as time as gone forward (9315
to 9395 transition) that the quality of build has gone done, cheaper components, etc. Simply look at the weight
differences, that speaks a lot. Eaton service is expensive. Emergency parts availability is sometimes an issue. I have
heard that because of less-than-stellar market acceptance of 9395, they are modernizing the 9315, which was originally
to be EOL'ed. I am not sure what that means.

Our last build, after serious consideration, we decided to go with GE SG500's. In my experience, they are a much better
engineered unit, with a considerably more knowledgeable sales and service contingent.

I can't speak about the 5110.

With any UPS the key is replacing the batteries at the appropriate
time.  Most batteries are rated for 3-5 years.  If conditions are
right, you might be able to push that to 6 or so.  If your battery is
older than that, replace it or you might as well not have a UPS.

This is an entirely different conversation. Battery monitoring is a requirement. Btech (and others) allow for daily
visibility of battery health and failure trends. If you don't have this, you aren't serious about your datacenter.

Batteries can fail anywhere from 4 minutes to 10 years after they are installed, and they never fail all at once.. so
why replace them all at once?