nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

From: Antonio Querubin <tony () lavanauts org>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:35:32 -1000 (HST)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Chris Adams wrote:

I can also see how this affects the ISPs providing bandwidth to the
content providers.  In our colo for example, we rate-limit customers to
the paid-for bandwidth at the colo port.  With multicast however, they
could use significantly more bandwidth, because every router in our
network could potentially send the stream to many ports.

Only if you're using hubs or dumb switches. If your switch is multicast aware, the multicast traffic only goes to ports with active listeners for a particular group. Routers send multicast traffic only if there are active downstream listeners (where "downstream" doesn't mean the same for unicast as it does multicast).

--
Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  tony () lavanauts org