nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:34:15 -0500

Once upon a time, Octavio Alvarez <alvarezp () alvarezp ods org> said:
So the first user in a router tunes to a multicast stream. Consumption
for the ISP and all the routers in the chain to the source: same as if
it were a unicast stream. Then a second user tunes to a multicast
stream. Cost for the ISP: zero.

How does this affect peering, when some providers want bandwidth ratios
in a certain range?

I can also see how this affects the ISPs providing bandwidth to the
content providers.  In our colo for example, we rate-limit customers to
the paid-for bandwidth at the colo port.  With multicast however, they
could use significantly more bandwidth, because every router in our
network could potentially send the stream to many ports.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>