nanog mailing list archives

Re: Randy in Nevis

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:40:12 -0400

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:

On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

On 10-09-27 7:20 AM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
"Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 67.202.37.63:465" does not
sound like a 587 problem to me.

netalyzr folks?  comment?

Sorry, I hit send too soon ...

I've heard from a couple of people that the PIX will remap 587 (and 25)
to oddball ports if you fiddle the config just right.  Given all the
other bogosity that box does with SMTP I wonder if there's truth to the
rumour. (I haven't found anyone who can reproduce this on demand, so
it's still apocryphal for now.)

465 is not an odd-ball port, it's the standard well-known port for STMPS.
Fortunately, few people actually use SMTPS, preferring instead to do their
security via TLS using the STARTTLS model after connecting to 25/587.

That doesn't explain why the test of port 587/starttls is trying to
connect to the well-known port for smtps.

-r