nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

From: Luca Tosolini <bit.gossip () chello nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:43:00 +0200

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 14:19 -0400, Ray Soucy wrote:

We've decided to disable SLAAC (State-Less Address Auto-Configuration)
on almost all our IPv6 networks and use DHCPv6 exclusively.  This
allows us to only respond with DHCPv6 to the hosts we want to get an
IPv6 address instead of enabling it network-wide and crossing your
fingers.  The disadvantage here is that DHCPv6 client support is still
limited (OS X has none for example).   The argument is that IPv6 isn't
mission critical yet, so we're waiting to see if vendors will come
around and include DHCPv6 client support in the future.

Ray,
how do you convey the default-router information with DHCPv6 only. AFAIK
there is no such field in DHCPv6...

Luca.