nanog mailing list archives

Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:54:18 +1030

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:24:02 +0200
Jens Link <lists () quux de> wrote:

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu writes:

You are going to kill about 90% of all net-/sysadmins?

Do you *really* want somebody working on your network that gets confused by a
reference to 213/8 because it's in Class-C space?

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea. Especially after the discussion I had
with someone this afternoon.

And "Cisco is still teaching it" is *not* an excuse

Windows and Linux ifconfig are still using it. Enter a Class-A/B/C
address and take a look at the mask they suggest.

Under Linux, ifconfig is probably deprecated, and just being left
around for people who're used to it. iproute2 a.k.a. the 'ip' utility
is the way to access/configure far more of the IP stack settings under
linux.

Regards,
Mark.