nanog mailing list archives

RE: AS11296 -- Hijacked? (ARIN region & hijacking)

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:02:59 -0700

This is *your* (the collective "your") WHOIS database, and ARIN will
administer
it per any policy which adopted by the community.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

P.S.  I will note that we fully have the potential to recreate this
problem
      in IPv6 if we're not careful, and establishing some very clear
record
      keeping requirements for IPv6 with both RIRs and ISPs/LIRs is
going to
      be very important if we ever hope to determine the party using a
given
      IPv6 block in just a few short years...

So then the question is, what can we as a community (note that is not
ARIN specific) do that makes it more difficult for someone to
fraudulently announce number resources they aren't really entitled to?
On the reactive side, we could have more people actively searching for
such abuse.  What can be done on the proactive side to make it more
difficult to do it in the first place?