nanog mailing list archives

Re: Introducing draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming

From: Cutler James R <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:36:42 -0500

I have a quibble with this discussion.  When I defined a "byte" as "a mouthful of bits" to my boss back in 1977, he
nearly fired me on the spot. He did not care about PDP-10 , much less PDP-11, data constructs.

By now, octet has become essentially synonymous with byte and nibble with 4-bits.  Could we just refer to "n octets"?

        Cutler

For Reference Only: