nanog mailing list archives

Re: NEED ANY LINK OR SAMPLE TEMPLATE FOR ROUTINE NETWORK (ISP) MAINTENANCE PLAN

From: Bryan Laird <negativeduck () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:34:45 -0400

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 06:21:57PM -0600, Jorge Amodio wrote:
Change your router's oil every three months or six thousand petabytes,
whatever it comes first, some models may require maintenance sooner
than you expect or plan, others may run forever and become difficult
to find where the heck are they located.

Some devices designed in Japan have the tendency to randomly increase
out of control the speed of your interfaces, if you experience that
problem send them to the factory for refurbishing and to be resold to
a poor ISP.

Never, ever, clean fiber optic connectors with spit ...

Is this for extreme routing?  Or do the terms of your maintenance schedule
change based on routing conditions.  My owners manual says that turning on
the router is extreme.  sending a packet with a GET string is extreme, but I take
them to JiffyTic's every now and then for their .signature service.

--
Saving Lost Packets since 1993
Have you seen this packet? 1010101111010