nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco hardware question

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:46:48 -0700

On 3/4/10 4:23 PM, Ben Carleton wrote:

Kaveh:

I can confirm with absolute certainty that fcsk is a Unix utility for
determining if a hard disk is failing and optionally attempting a
recovery. I have never heard of such output files, though. How big
are they? If they are tiny, they could just be status reports or a
save of the program's output. If they are large, they may represent
backups of the flash memory.

Ben

fsck is not just for failing hard drives. fsck is used any time you want to check a disk (may it be ssd, optical, magnetic) for any kind of errors or inconsistencies. It's a standard part of any UNIX toolkit.

On Linux systems with ext2/3, you'll see lost+found, which is where stuff ends up if it can't be connected to an actual file entry. Sounds exactly like what those FSCK files are - DOS used to do this with scandisk.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org