nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:14:29 -0700

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:43:23 GMT
From: msokolov () ivan Harhan ORG (Michael Sokolov)

Rick Ernst <nanog () shreddedmail com> wrote:

I've noticed over the last 3 years or so that TDM, specifically T-1, access
and transport has been in a steady decline.  Customers are moving to FTTH
and cable, or going WiMAX and Metro-Ethernet.  Ethernet seems to have taken
an even bigger bite out of DS-3.  The bigger pipes seem to favor ethernet. A
recent upgrade from OC-3 to GigE transport actually saved us a large chunk
of money.

I'm wondering if others are seeing the same behavior, if it's
market-dependant, or if I'm just imagining things.

Unfortunately what you are seeing is indeed where the world is going,
and it is extremely painful to watch.  My personal preference is the
direct opposite of that: Ethernet for non-LAN use is my very antithesis,
I hate it to the core of my being.  V.35/HDLC forever for me!  I will
continue using HDLC over traditional synchronous serial WAN media for as
long as I am alive.

MS

P.S. This message is being sent from a VAX running a variant of 4.3BSD
(Quasijarus).  Almost the entire ARPA Internet software stack that's
running on my VAXen is mostly unchanged from how it was in 1988.

Much as I love Sonet and the like, I will channel Randy and say that I
hope all of my competitors do this.  (OK. We really don't have
competitors.)

And, if you are using a 1988 TCP stack on a 4.3 system, you are not
likely to ever efficiently utilize a higher speed link and will not
behave well on any link. TCP has come a long way in the past 12
years. (Of course, I can't guess what "mostly unchanged" means.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)