nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP4 Space

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:06:15 -0800

On 3/4/10 10:52 AM, Thomas Magill wrote:
So to start off, I'm new to following this list so if these points have
already been beaten into the ground, feel free to tell me to shut up.

So two things I wonder about the preservation of current IP4 space and
delaying IP6 are:

1.        Why don't providers use /31 addresses for P2P links?  This
works fine per rfc 3021 but nobody seems to believe it or use it.  Are
there any major manufacturers out there that do not support it?

I posed this to the list in January, and learned that apparently there
are still some vendors whose products choke with presented with a /31.
Search for thread "Using /31 for router links".

~Seth