nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadband initiatives - impact to your network?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:27:22 -0400

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Jonathan Feldman <jf () feldman org> wrote:

I don't agree with you, Christopher, that the broadband plan won't affect
corporate users.  I know that this list _mostly_ consists of operators, but

(there are a fair number of consumer network operations folks on nanog
as well...)

There have been plans to offer 'business' connectivity (replacing
T1/T3 last-mile type things) from the likes of Verizon (FiOS) for some
time. To date you can't (and they don't seem to have plans really) get
a last-mile tail on FiOS with BGP for routing information (like for a
redundant connection setup, or for alternate provider paths: FiOS
50mbps link from VZ + 45mbps Ds3 from ATT using BGP to manage your
redundancy needs). I don't know that you could not do the same on
Comcast or Cox's deployments at this time, maybe someone from these
alternatives have already spoken up privately on the matter.

I've gotten some offline responses to my initial query that seem to indicate
that enterprise users utilize SOHO (consumer grade, but with higher speeds)

Sure, lots of folks use 'consumer grade' links for out-sites, that
dish on top of the Mobil station being the cannonical example. These
out-sites don't generally have the data concentration of the main
office, nor the bandwidth needs, nor the redundancy/resiliency needs.

 Using a SOHO/Consumer link in the right place is a fine solution,
using it at your core site, not so fine...

for various branch office needs.  Also, when a technology gets
"consumerized" it tends to create interesting effects in terms of features
and price points.

Still waiting for that on the FiOS space or the Comcast space (where's
my 100mbps cable/FiOS link with BGP for redundancy?).

I CAN get a 50mbps bidirectional FiOS link with static ip addresses
(that I have to pay for the 'privilege' of having) but I can NOT use
my own ip space, nor can I use a routing protocol to tell VZ or the
rest of the world to prefer my alternate link to get to my office.
That's suboptimal, and not 'business class' service.

Think of it this way: where would corporate mobile phones be without the
consumer effect?  We'd still be carrying them around in bags and only
corporate officers would have them.

I'm not sure that the corporate smartphone usage was driven by
consumers, it seems (to me) to be the other way around actually... I'm
not a mobile-maven so who knows :)

-Chris

I appreciate everyone's response!