nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadband initiatives - impact to your network?

From: Jonathan Feldman <jf () feldman org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:13:55 -0400

I've never claimed to be particularly bright, but I do like to challenge assumptions.

I meant "privately owned campuses spanning many miles." Is that a WAN? LAN? "MAN"? Seriously, should there really be a difference? If so, why must there be a difference? Let's not forget that ADSL is distance limited. Should it have ever been classified as a WAN technology? Compare that to fiber-connected Ethernet, a so-called LAN technology that goes miles and miles.