nanog mailing list archives

Re: Todd Underwood was a little late

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:06:56 -0400

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Steve Bertrand <steve () ipv6canada com> wrote:
On 2010.06.17 17:10, William Herrin wrote:
Reverse path filtering + asymmetric routing = epic fail. Jon did say
Multihomed customer.

If all IP blocks are tied down to null, and urpf is enabled in loose
mode on an interface, it will catch cases where someone is sourcing
traffic to you using IPs from the unassigned space that you have in your
free pools.

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure what that accomplishes. It doesn't close any doors. With
loose-mode RPF he can still forge packets from any address actually in
use.

Every month or so I re-route my blackholed traffic to a sinkhole, and
more often than not, I see some ingress traffic from my unassigned space.

You'd be better off pointing the forward routes at a packet logger so
you can gain some insight into who is scanning the network,
particularly when the scanner actually is internal.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004