nanog mailing list archives

Re: Todd Underwood was a little late

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:27:09 +1000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.61.1006162237180.5148 () soloth lewis org>, Jon Lewis write
s:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Mark Andrews wrote:

Why was this traffic hitting your DNS server in the first place?  It should
have been rejected by the ingress filters preventing spoofing of the local
network.

When I ran a smaller simpler network, I did have input filters on our
transit providers rejecting packets from our IP space.  With a larger
network, multiple IP blocks, numerous multihomed customers, some of which
use IP's we've assigned them, it gets a little more complicated to do.

One can never do a perfect job but one can stop a large percentage
of the crap.  You should know the multi-homed customers and their
address ranges so they become exceptions.  You also run filters on
internal routers.  There are internal ingress/egress points as well
as interconnects.

I could reject at our border, packets sourced from our IP ranges with
exceptions for any of the IP blocks we've assigned to multihomed
customers.  The ACLs wouldn't be that long, or that hard to maintain.  Is
this common practice?

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org