nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:27:25 -0400

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:32:54 CDT, Larry Sheldon said:
On 6/9/2010 12:17, Joe Greco wrote:
So, just so we're clear here, I go to Best Buy, I buy a computer, I
bring it home, plug it into my cablemodem, and am instantly Pwned by
the non-updated Windows version on the drive plus the incessant cable
modem scanning, resulting in a bot infection...  therefore I am
negligent?

Do you actually think a judge would find that negligent, or is this
just your own personal definition of negligence?  Because I doubt that
a judge, or even an ordinary person, could possibly consider it such.

One can argue (and I will) that there is indeed some culpability because
the buyer bought the cheapest version of everything and connected it to
a negligent provider's system.

And the average consumer can avoid the culpability in this scenario, how,
exactly?

"If people place a nice chocky in their mouth, they don't want their cheeks
pierced"

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/crunchy.htm