nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Responsibilities [WAS: Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers]

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:30:36 -0500

On 6/9/2010 01:14, Paul Ferguson wrote:

To cut through the noise and non-relevant discussion, let's see if we can
boil this down to a couple of issues:

If I may offer a few edits and comments .....

1. Should ISPs be responsible for abuse from within their customer base?
1. Should ISPs be responsible for every thing from within their customer base?>

1a. If so, how?

[Good question.  The answers will be hard, and some of the answers will
seem to some to be against their own "self interest.  How does a
toll-road operator do it?  An inn-keeper?]

2. Should hosting providers also be held responsible for customers who
abuse their services in a criminal manner?

[A legal question--is the inn keeper responsible for the harm to you of
a meth lab he allows to operate in the room next to yours?]

2.a If so, how?

See above.

I think anyone in their right mind would agree that if a provider see
criminal activity, they should take action, no?

In some US states the law requires it.

If that also holds true, then why doesn't it happen?

It's hard.  It costs to much (actually false in my opinion--see "trashed
hotel rooms").  Somebody else should be doing it.  Personal (see also
"corporations as persons") responsibility is now an undefined term.

Providers in the U.S. are the worst offenders of hosting/accommodating
criminal activities by Eastern European criminals. Period.

All the crap I get, I get from a (nominally[1]) US provider.

[1]  China probably holds the mortgage, which is another problem for
discussion another day (and somewhere else).

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca