nanog mailing list archives

Re: more news from Google

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:14:12 -0500

On Jan 13, 2010, at 2:05 AM, Stefan Fouant wrote:

I for one would be really happy to see them follow through with this.  I was
very disappointed when they agreed to censor search results, although I can
understand why they did so from a business standpoint... it seemed to go
against the google mantra of "do no evil"...

I'm skeptical if they'll go through with it...

According to their spokesperson, they have already stopped censoring.

That sounds a bit iffy to me.  It's one thing to say "we want to stop censoring, and will pull out if you don't let
us", and "we are breaking the law, nah, nah, nah".

You don't like the law, don't do biz in that country.  But blatantly breaking a law is bad joo-joo.

--
TTFN,
patrick