nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using /126 for IPv6 router links

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:11:41 -0500

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Mark Smith
<nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org> wrote:

The general intent of the /48 allocation is that it is large enough for
nearly everybody, with nearly everybody including all but the largest

'nearly everybody with a single site' sure. I know of more than a few
VPN deployments (enterprises with remote offices) that have +1k remote
sites. For these you're quickly talking about:
1) get PA (maybe, maybe not a good plan, see renumbering headaches)
2) get a large number of /48's (assume median size is 2048 - 1 /36)

I know of one vpn deployment with +12k sites: a /34

I agree that a large majority of 'end sites' (enterprises) will be
services with a single /48 from PA space, unless they want to
multihome, or have more than 1 site and want some convenience.

of organisations. IOW, it's meant to be "nearly one-size-fits-all", to
try to ensure almost everybody gets as much address space as they'll
ever need at the time of their first request. An addressing plan for
anything less than the largest organsation that doesn't fit within
a /48 or will exceed it fairly rapidly is probably too inefficent.

ps. Remember that I'm one of the ones advocating using /64s everywhere,
so what ever you do, don't use "ruthlessly efficient" to describe my
position - use that for the /126 or /127 crowd ;-)

I'd note I'm not a 'ruthless efficiency' guy either, just 'how ops is
done today' and 'there be dragons, be aware what you step into'. I
think, and I'll start a fresh copy of this thread to articulate it,
there have been 4-5 different issue conflated in this discussion,
which is making things complicated.

-Chris

Regards,
Mark.