nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fiber Cut in CA?

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:40:24 -0800

From: Michael J McCafferty <mike () m5computersecurity com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:29:24 -0800

Michael,
      We saw routes change on Level3's network about 13:40 PDT today. Routes
from San Diego to Phoenix now go up to SJC, to Denver, to Dallas, to
Phoenix. Some customers trying to reach us from Cox in Phoenix had some
issues where Cox and Level 3 peer. Overall, *we* are not down, anywhere,
but increased latency.

The most recent info we have is:

Notes : *** CASCADED EXTERNAL NOTES 02-Feb-2010 02:40:44 GMT spottsta
From CASE: 3900562 - Event
02:05 GMT  Field Services is in the process digging in the Junction
box at this time. Testing will begin when fiber is accessible.

02:23 GMT  Field Services has access to the fiber in the junction box
and has begun testing fiber at this time.

02:33 GMT  Field Services has isolated fiber cut to approximately
3,000 feet out from their current location at a construction site. They
are attempting to gain access to the site at this time. Field
Technicians are currently walking the route trying to determine a
restoration plan.

Case Status: Analysis in Progress