nanog mailing list archives

Re: How common are wide open SIP gateways?

From: David Birnbaum <davidb () pins net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:22:12 -0500 (EST)

I should have prefaced that with "older installations" as well. As far as we can see, most of the newer packages have fixed the known truck-sized holes in their default configurations, but given the lack of any formal framework for testing this stuff, even the "big" switches have been found to have security issues from time to time.

I have to admit I was surprised at the number of people I've run into over the years who unpacked Asterisk, played with a few phones, and stuck themselves on the Internet without any clear understanding of how exposed they are.

Cheers,

David.

-----