nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:17:23 -0500

On 12/16/10 9:51 AM, Craig L Uebringer wrote:
Funny thing about competition is that there are losers as well as winners.
  DSL competition
didn't lose by regulation, it lost (nationally) by cheaper, more elastic
bandwidth available
on other media and JC's previously-noted fickle and lazy consumers.

Apparently, you've never owned or run an ISP in the past dozen years....

  Pacific Bell Telephone v. LinkLine, 07-512

It lost *precisely* by regulation: Google "Tauzin-Dingell".

We used to offer up to 7 Mbps bidirectional DSL long before cable or the
Bells offered anything in that range.  We had our own DSLAMs.

How exactly do you compete when the Incumbent charges us $80 per month
wholesale for UNE lines that they sell $10 per month retail?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-10-DSL-Today-84904

Note that's only $10 for "new" customers (that is, *our* customers).

And that's just the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.cybertelecom.org/broadband/dslnaked.htm

org.law.rutgers.edu/publications/lawjournal/issues/38_1/Sholinsky.pdf