nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:16:58 -0800

 On 15/12/10 9:29 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

The underlying problem, of course, is lack of usable last-mile competition;

I agree.

see also my running rant about Verizon-inspired state laws *forbidding*
municipalities to charter monopoly transport-only fiber providers, renting
to all comers on non-discriminatory terms, which is the only practical
way I can see to fix any of this.

The problem is that this should have been addressed 5-10 years ago, when there *were* alternative ISPs who could have provided competition. Now that Comcast has a monopoly on cable, and fiber is so bleeping expensive to install, at best we might get *one* alternative to Comcast, and a duopoly is really no better (for consumers, for the marketplace) than a monopoly.

jc