nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cheap home CPE troubles

From: Andrew Kirch <trelane () trelane net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:36:37 -0500

Send each customer out to buy this:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE350G
problem solved.

Andrew

On 12/27/2010 10:10 AM, Mike wrote:
Hi,

    Well as is customary in our part of the country (Northern
California), with the stormy weather comes brownouts and blackouts
comes a massive influx of end users with locked up and malfunctioning
home networking equipment. Every single time the power sneezes,
massive waves of customers just 'go down' and then I get to pick the
pieces all up by talking to each individual and instructing them how
to pull the power and then plug it back in, or worse, their cpe needs
to have it's settings restored since the internal flash memories got
cleared or corrupted.

    We see this in the cheap home gear all the time. Makes me mad
since linksys/netgear/motorola got away with the customers money and
incurs ZERO support costs or any apparent liability for their product,
where we in turn get to deal with upset subscribers who have been
'down for days...' while all the time the solution - powercycling -
was within reach.

    Is there anyone who has a script or process or policy concerning
unreliable customer equipments and how to effectively deal with
unsophisticated home users? I mean, users with business oriented gear
(eg: cisco 26xx, 8xx, pix, and the like), and doubly especially those
with working standby UPS, we never ever hear from and they have
extreme uptimes, but home users aren't willing to hear $500 - $800 in
gear is required to 'make it work all the time'. They interpret that
to mean that there's just something wrong with us since WE 'require'
such expensive and exotic equipment in order to work right, and they
would be better off somewhere else.

    Any comments?

Mike-