nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should routers send redirects by default?

From: Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:18:15 -0400

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow () gmail com> wrote:
Polling a little bit here, there's an active discussion going on
6man@ietf about whether or not v6 routers should:
 o be required to implement ip redirect functions (icmpv6 redirect)
 o be sending these by default

Hi Chris,

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a similar question whose answers
might be instructive for the question you asked:

sure :) (other folks should also chime in, or I thought that was the
spirit of your question...)

Forgetting all of the theoretical constructs for a moment, has anyone
here personally encountered an operational scenario in which ICMP
redirects solved a problem for you that you would otherwise have found
difficult or intransigent? Without naming names, would you describe
the scenario's details, explain the problem that would have existed
absent redirects and explain how redirects solved it for you?

I've never had redirects solve a problem for me.