nanog mailing list archives

Re: Numbering nameservers and resolvers

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:11:37 -0400

On Aug 16, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> said:
1) Use different prefixes.  A single prefix going down should not kill
your entire network.  (Nameservers and resolvers being unreachable
breaks the whole Internet as far as users are concerned.)

How do you do this in the IPv6 world, where I get a single /32?  Will
others accept announcements of two /33s to better handle things like
this?

Oooooooooobviously I was not thinking clearly, since I was only considering v4. =)

But you do what you can.  Some people have only a single v4 prefixes as well.  If you can't use more than one prefix,
then don't.

Other good suggestions were things like ensuring the default exit point for each NS was a different vector.  If you
have only one exit point, that is not possible.  But it does not mean the suggestion is bad.

--
TTFN,
patrick